Epidemics affect the cattle of mainly pastoral communities. Their ability to survive is seriously compromised as a result. Because of this, water-borne diseases are extremely common, particularly cholera, and pose an additional risk to these marginalized populations who are also suffering from the absence of a national agricultural policy and a policy for basic public services, such as health and education. Lastly, Kenya’s proximity to Somalia and the Al-Shebab group has also further destabilized the country.
- 45.5 million inhabitants
- 45.9% poverty rate
- 145th out of 188 on the Human Development Index
opened in 2006
- Team 5 international staff
44 national staff
- Budget €1.84
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has been working in Kenya since 2006, trying to address the water shortage problem and create proper, sustainable livelihoods. Our teams have developed programs to help the pastoral communities of Marsabit County to handle recurring and unpredictable climate variations, and to bolster their adaptation strategies. In the fourth poorest county in Kenya, 75.8% of the population is living below the poverty line. Just 15% of the region’s inhabitants have regular access to drinking water.
As part of their projects focusing on livelihoods and resilience, our teams are working to improve people’s adaptability when faced with droughts, while also providing them with sustainable livelihoods.
Food security and livelihood support
51,030 people helped
– Enhanced productivity of rain-fed crops
– Introduced and promoted drought-resistant plants
– Provided support and capacity building for village communities
– Facilitated livestock feed production
– Established Pastoral Field School
– Oversaw Prosopis management and processing operations
– Created pasture conservation areas
– Developed or updated existing DRR contingency plans at community and district level
Water, sanitation and hygiene
51,030 people helped
– Constructed and restored Rainwater Harvesting (RWH) systems
Should you have any questions, please contact Contact Emmanuel Rinck
7€ soit 1,75€ après déduction fiscale
1 Kit de dignité Comprenant tous les produits pour une personne7 Make a donation
120€ soit 30€ après déduction fiscale
Un abri d’urgence 1 accès à l'eau potable,
1 kit de survie
136€ soit 34€ après déduction fiscale
1 kit complet Comprenant les produits sanitaires pour une personne136 Make a donation
This figure reflects a strategic choice based on our concept of humanitarian action.
At head office