- Référence : SRH04224
- Statut : Salarié
- Poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Domaine de compétence : Coordination régionale / Chef de mission
- Type de contrat : Salarié - CDD
- Pays : Syrie
About the mission
Desired start date: 16/05/2021
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Hassake – North East Syria
Solidarites International (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012. The mission counts about 230 national staff, more than 40 expatriates, and has a 25 million EUR budget forecasted for 2021. There are 3 implementing offices in Syria (2 in North East Syria/NES, 1 in North West Syria/NWS) with the coordination based in Amman - Jordan.
The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations.
Syria mission is dedicated to work in areas recently opened (in 2018 in Deir Ez Zor and Hassakeh Governorate) and in challenging contexts. There are 9 expatriates and 82 national employees on the base and main current activities are related to:
- Wash (water distribution and rehabilitation, latrines and showers, waste management, hygiene promotion) in IDP settlements
- Distribution of essential in kind NFI and cash (wash, shelter, winterization) for vulnerable populations.
- The program includes as well a great part of more “durable” activities as Water stations and network rehabilitations and institutional rehabilitations (hospitals, schools).
- Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES and has been responding to the COVID-19 crisis (some specifically dedicated grants are ongoing).
About the job
- The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director (CD) for the region.
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she is the Country Director’s direct contact and representative.
The main challenges:
- Be able to support a large scope of sectorial activities and of large scale, with a significant number of direct reportees.
- Coordinate strongly with the partners (especially the consortium’s ones) and take part in the Working Group dynamics.
- Ensure activities in the Covid context
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Finalize and implement the programmatic strategy for the base.
- Ensure continuity over a potential turnover od expatriates early 2021
- Develop activities in new areas & eventually consider return to DEZ governorate
The Field Coordinator in under the direct management of the Country Director.
Number of persons under direct management: 9 managers.
The base is mainly funded under BHA, OFDA, ECHO, ICSP and CDCS grants. The total budget is around 9 million euros.
Education and experience:
- Master degree ideally and a degree related to International Relations and/or Project Management would be an advantage
- A minimum of 4 years of field experience in humanitarian relief and/or development programs.
- Previous experience as Field Coordinator is necessary
- Previous experience in managing an expatriate team is highly appreciated
- Previous experience in coordination and representation is a must
- Previous experience in the Middle East is appreciated
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, Google Earth)
- A good listener with very well-developed diplomatic skills
- Flexible and resourceful
- Solution-oriented management
- Interest in working in challenging, insecure areas
- Fluency in English (Speaking, Reading, Writing) mandatory
SI will offer you
A salaried post:
Starting from 2600 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 2860 euros gross per month) and valorization according to experience (+100€/year of humanitarian experience on an equivalent position and +50€/year of humanitarian experience on a non-equivalent position)
and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Security inside NES is volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
However, the impact on the life in Amuda itself is quite limited (freedom to walk in all the village for example, no curfew). The field expatriate team is based in Amuda where the main office is. The sub-base of Hassake is currently scaling up and temporary stay over may be considered in the future to ease transportation. Amuda is peaceful village and expats are free to move around though activities aren’t plenty. Conditions in the Guesthouses are good: individual rooms all with ACs and satisfactory internet and electricity.
Over the last period due to covid restrictions and challenges (some quarantine in particular), expats have been spending some time in Erbil (Iraq).
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/Retour