- Référence : SRH02985
- Type de poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Domaine de compétence : Coordination régionale / Chef de mission
- Statut : Salarié
- Pays : Sud-Soudan
- Type de contrat : Salarié - CDD
About the mission ...
Posted on: 07/02/2018
Desired start date: 01/04/18
Duration of the mission: 6 months renewable upon fundings
Location: Raja, South Sudan
About the mission
In the country:
SI has been operating in South Sudan since 2006, and has developed activities in emergency and post emergency contexts, particularly in rural and semi-urban areas. Its expertise in running emergency WaSH intervention is highly acknowledged by all WaSH actors and donors present in the country.
We currently operate an Emergency Preparedness and Response program throughout the entire country, as well as Wash activities in the PoC in Malakal, and emergency Wash assistance in informal settlements in Upper West Nile state. We have also developped a new area of intervention in Western Bahr El Ghazal with the opening of the Raja base in october where we currently operate Wash in Health and Food security and livelihood.
The mission strategy is to continue along with our focus on WASH/EPR interventions and to develop stronger responses to food security and livelihood needs while working on resilience.
In the area of the project:
The westernmost counties of the greater Bahr El Ghazal area have been affected by a steady deterioration of the security situation. Since 2016, major fighting and population displacement have had dire consequences for the local economy of major urban centers, such as Wau, and for the livelihoods of the local population.
Raja County, the largest and remotest county of the newly constituted Lol State, has witnessed a surge in violence and destruction since June 2016. The ensuing fighting resulted in the looting of most of the town, including all the supplies and facilities of the local hospital.
Fighting in April 2017 has further aggravated the plight of the County population, while an estimated 13 000 IDPs have fled to the bush as well as to other locations within the County, and currently lack access to basic health and nutritional care.
On-going violence and insecurity prevents people from attending to their fields, while the absence of food stocks across the county in light of the upcoming lean season contributes to the dire nutritional situation in Lol State
The mission coordination is based in Juba (4 expatriates) as well as the EPR team (2 expatriates). The Malakal base (4 expatriates) is also supporting a sub-base in Aburoc. In Raja, are an additional 4 expatriates (1 FCo, 2 PMs and 1 log admin).
In the upcoming months the mission will face a major challenge as it will be decreasing in volume (closing of several programs/ bases) which will require team effort in coordination in order to smoothen the adjustements that will have to be made.
The programs in Raja:
SI is currently running a multisectorial emergency intervention funded by OFDA in partnership with the INGO ALIMA (lead) and is covering the Wash activities impacting maltnutrition in the framework of this multisectorial project that targets IDPs and host communities of the area.
In December started a second project funded by GIZ in partnership with INGO ALIMA as well. SI is the lead of the project and conducts FSL activities (& bit of WASH) to impact on Nutrition. SI FSL & WASH activities are mostly focused on community level and targets vulnerable IDPs and host communities.
About the job...
This position does not imply the management of a large range of projects since the volume of the base is small to average. However access, security and external coordination with a consortium partner are major tasks that will require in depth analysis competencies.
It is also crucial that this Field Coordinator be capable of developing a regional strategy to expend our activities in order to respond to the uncovered humanitarian needs of IDPs and host communities.
The main challenges of the position are:
General objectives : smooth implementation of the projects ensuring efficient security management and adequate coordination with partners and government stakeholders
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Volatile security situation: close security monitoring
- Developing access
- Evolving nature of needs and interruption of the planned activities
- Smooth coordination with ALIMA and other stakeholders.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months :
- Update the security guidelines for SI Raja team
- Establish field based coordination mechanism
- Establish network and coordination platform with other actors in Raja to support SI strategy in the area
OFDA end of project report
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission for this region of a country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
He/she is the Head of Mission's direct contact and representative.
The required skills:
- Between 2 to 3 years of professional experience.
- At least 1 years in humanitarian environments at similar position.
- Strong experience in conflict, insecure and access-hindered environments, with experience in supporting emergency response programming, access negotiation and security management
- Previous experience in program development and fundraising, including in working with major institutional donors
- Successful experience in managing multi-sector programs especially WASH, Food Security & Livelihoods and cash-based interventions
- Demonstrated successful experience in negotiation and external representation.
- Previous experience in South Sudan is a strong asset
- Successful experience in management of multicultural teams
- Fluent English – written and spoken
- Arabic is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Si will offer you
SI will offer you:
Solidarités International will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 2800 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly.
- For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Mano Gaudin, Recruitment & Follow Up OfficerRetour