- Référence : SRH03874
- Statut : Salarié
- Poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Domaine de compétence : Eau Hygiene et Assainissement
About the mission
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 3 months
Location: Latin America
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is a French humanitarian organization that provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 39 years, our organization has worked towards meeting the three basic needs - water, food and shelter – of vulnerable and crisis-affected populations, and has been more specifically committed to fight against waterborne diseases, leading cause of death in the world. SI’s interventions are carried out based on its expertise in the field of access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential ones of food security and livelihoods. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL is currently present in about 20 countries where SI staff – a total of 2,000 people comprising expatriates, local staff, HQ employees and some volunteers – implements programs with professionalism and commitment whilst being mindful of respecting other cultures.
Brief overview of Solidarités International’s work in the area:
SI started its WASH and FSL operations in the region in December 2019 and had to adapt to new complex contexts and their specificities focusing on the Venezuelan migrants’ crisis primarily.
SI is currently intends to work jointly on two projects:
- A project in urban areas where SI will be in charge of WASH and FSL programs
- A project in which SI will focus on WASH interventions in more rural areas
How the mission is organised:
At present, the mission has a small base in the capital, with two international positions. In the coming months, a small national staff team will be recruited and a second base set up.
Specific context of the area in which the expatriate will be working:
Humanitarian aid is complex to set up in the area, professional maturity and diplomatic abilities are necessary to navigate in the environment.
Security restriction are in place due to high urban criminality and political tensions that can paralyze normal life.
About the job
The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
General objective of the position :
- Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country
- Propose and organize diagnostic missions in the field of WASH
- Support the Country Director in the monitoring and analysis of the WASH sector and the analysis of donors’ strategies for WASH activities
Relevance and quality of projects
- Confirm the relevance of any assessments carried out
- Propose and organize evaluation missions
- Approve the technical approaches and aspects of projects for WASH activities
- Ensure that all WASH programs are implemented respecting Solidarités International annual operational strategy, technical requirements, and the criteria stipulated by financial backers
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Provide support and advice to the logistical service for the purchase of specific materials for WASH activity
- Provide a technical and methodological support to program managers for the planning and implementation of WASH activities
- Supervise and support the WASH program managers, monitor and evaluate WASH activities implemented
- Anticipate difficulties relating to how WASH activities are carried out and facilitate the resolution of problems linked to WASH programs
- Propose the reorientation of WASH activities according to changing context and indicators
- Ensure that Solidarités International’s capitalization tools are correctly used and disseminated throughout HQ (technical unit and desks)
Reporting / communication / representation
- Support the Country Director with fundraising and the negotiation and examination of project proposals relating to his/her activity
- Consolidate WASH activity reports and supervise the preparation annexes linked to WASH activities for reports and/or financial donors
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
Priorities of the first 2 months
- Setting up the team internally, train and coach newly recruited staff
- Conduct assessments of intervention areas for community WASH, design mechanism for beneficiary selection
- Establish partnership with health facilities, launch WASH upgrade Recruitment and induction of a program team
- Operationalize the partnership with the different organizations
- Establish a monitoring system
Education: Master degree in WASH, humanitarian action or international cooperation or equivalent.
An education background in one of the following sector is an asset: project management, WASH.
Experience: at least two years of experience as program manager in a humanitarian context.
Technical skills and knowledge: WASH skills essential, management and organizational skills.
Languages: Spanish and English are mandatory.
Other desirable qualities: leadership and management / coordination with partners / planning and prioritization / flexibility / capacity to work under stress / solution oriented
SI will offer you
- Salaried position => salary : according to experience, starting from EUR 2 640 per month (EUR 2 400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) + per diem (750 USD per month).
- SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of residence and the mission.
- Social and medical cover => Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension. For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/Retour