- Référence : SRH03619
- Domaine de compétence : Coordination régionale / Chef de mission
- Poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Statut : Salarié
- Pays : Syrie
- Type de contrat : Salarié - CDD
About the mission ...
Desired start date: 15/12/2019
Duration of the mission: 9 months – Pending confirmed funding
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The mission is expanding through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI, which started in October 2018. The LEARN consortium funded by OFDA ( Linking Assistance and Relief in Northeast Syria ) will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
The Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
About the job
SI is looking for a Field Coordinator, based in Amman and supervising our activities in Northwest Syria.
Under guidance of the Country Director and in close collaboration with the Country Office (CO), the Field Coordinator is responsible for the leading SI’s operational strategy in Northwest Syria, consisting today in an integrated WASH response, as well as NFI and winterization components (hygiene kits & top ups, kitchen kits, new arrivals Kits and emergency shelter kits).
This role will be crucial in continuing the development of SI’s access strategy in this very hard-to-reach area, affected by both long-term displacement since the early stages of the crisis as well as ongoing tensions in the area.
Placed under the supervision of the Country Director, the Field Coordinator manages a team of 4 Managers (Administrator, Logistician, WASH Program Manager and MEAL Manager) and a total of 38 national staff.
Specific stakes and challenges
- Strong access challenges, leading to semi-remote management of our activities from Amman
- Implementation with a local partner, thus requiring a sensitivity to capacity-building questions
- Volatile security situation
- Limited funding visibility
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Work with the CO to ensure new funding opportunities, while following up the implementation of the activities on the field
- Ensure continuing security management in a highly dynamic and volatile environment
- Build relation with the local authorities to maintain access
- Follow up and development of emergency response activities, the case being
- Ensure liaison and close collaboration with our local partner
- Post-graduate degree in humanitarian and/or development studies, social sciences, political sciences or similar field
- Experience in managing emergency response activities
- Prior experience in remote management would be an asset
- Experience of working with or through partners
- Proven experience in liaising with Local authorities (including security forces representatives)
- Previous experience in Middle East highly desirable
- Previous experience with SI is an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong management skills
- Strong representation and coordination skills
- Security management in volatile and armed conflict environment
- Speak fluent
- Knowledge of SI tools and processes is an asset
Soft skills and spirit:
- Ability and willingness to build up the capacity of its team
- Ability to work under pressure
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
- Levantine Arabic is highly desirable
Si will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 2860 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 785 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[Living conditions : ]
Accommodation will be in SI apartments in Amman.
Living conditions are very good and staffs have access to a wide range of restaurants, cafes and bars. Most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Amman. The country also proposes several destinations for weekends.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehensionRetour