- Référence : SRH03590
- Domaine de compétence : Eau Hygiene et Assainissement
- Poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Statut : Salarié
- Pays : Bangladesh
- Type de contrat : Salarié - CDD
About the mission ...
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 9 -12 months with possible extension
Location: Cox, with frequent field visits to bases
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) is a humanitarian organization that provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. Since 1980, the association has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs - water, food and shelter.
SI opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, just after cyclone SIDR had hit the country, implementing an emergency WASH response. In 2009, after the Cyclone Aila, SI provided a wash and shelter response adapted to the evolving needs of beneficiaries.
In 2017, SI implemented several emergency programs focused on emergency water supply and sanitation infrastructures, shelter and NFI kits distributions, Camp coordination and Management and protection.
Moreover, SI has a contingency preparedness plan to quickly and adequately respond to emergencies. Since March 2010, SI has been active in Cox’s Bazar district, one of the most vulnerable areas of Bangladesh in terms of water access.
SI operates through three core stages of intervention, rapid response mechanisms in the aftermath of a disaster or emergency, early recovery/transitional periods and development. In line with the 2019/2020 country strategy, SI is focusing on four key strategic objectives:
- Responding to the most urgent needs of conflict and disaster affected populations;
- Strengthening the resilience of vulnerable communities to recurrent shocks;
- Strengthening communities’ capacities to access resources;
- Reducing marginalisation through inclusive programming.
To this end, SI Bangladesh focuses the crux of its work on the WaSH, FSL and DRR sectors with a cross cutting them of integrated protection and resilience.
About the job
The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
- Strategic orientation
- Relevance and quality of projects
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Personnel management
- Reporting / communication / representation
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Country Director or Deputy Country Director in charge of Program
Line report(s) on base: Direct assistants
Functional manager: -
Functional report(s): : All program managers related to his/her sector
We are looking for a dynamic and autonomous professional, experienced in Wash senior positions and with a strong problem-solving approach, keen to a contextualized strategic and innovation development of the Wash mission portfolio. Someone with a strong field based approach, supporting Wash PMs and, at the same time, a strong familiarity with strategical and context analysis, experienced in proposals technical components and guidelines documents writing and strong in internal and external coordination. The position offers the possibility to develop a large activities portfolio towards increased qualitative and sustainable outcomes, building on a challenging and changing context where the organization has established itself in the Wash sector throughout the years.
Specific stakes and challenges
- Deal with a large volume of operations in a relatively vast area with program implementation organized by zones and not by grant;
- Need to keep increasing the quality and development of new approaches in WaSH, which require strong technical capacities;
- Play a key role in incorporating protection and DRR mainstreaming within Wash activities;
- Heavy representational duties at sector coordination level;
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Follow-up of the operationalization and action plans of the Wash strategy;
- Ensure strong and close support to the PMs in the design and toolkits technical development;
- Ensure project management and technical monitoring tools are developed and in place for the Wash programs
Bac + 5 (master’s degree) degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology, and/or professional technical humanitarian-oriented training (Bioforce WASH or similar)
- Previous experience in coordination position.
- Three years’ experience in relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project management and/or coordination in NGO / humanitarian fields.
- Experience in emergency contexts and protracted crises (conflict / post conflict country)
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
- Experience in context strategical analysis
- Experience in functional management of Wash Program Managers
- Experience in dealing with vast and complex operational volume
- Experience in external representation at sector coordination level
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Strong technical knowledge on water supply and sanitation.
- Technical skills on Fecal Sludge Management is an asset but not mandatory
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics is an asset.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Good organization skills.
- Good writing/editing skills.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
Other desirable qualities:
- Patience, persistence, pedagogic talent.
- Good relation skills with external actors
SI will offer you...
A salaried post: according to experience from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of 450 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Security context and living conditions:
The office and guesthouse in Dhaka, Cox and Teknaf are comfortable, well located in terms of security, adapted to SI team’s needs, and assuring to international staff the minimum standard in terms of privacy and comfort. The working environment is positive and the context, differently in each location, give some opportunities of social life.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehensionRetour