- Référence : SRH03280
- Domaine de compétence : Eau Hygiene et Assainissement
- Poste : Missions à l'etranger
- Statut : Salarié
- Pays : Yemen
- Type de contrat : Salarié - CDD
About the job (1/3)
Desired start date: February 15, 2019
Duration of the mission: 12 months
After four years of conflict, Yemen experienced a collapse of its economy and public services' provision. Human losses directly caused by the armed conflict are dramatic, and in particular the amount of civilian casualties. In addition, the indirect impact of this conflict is beyond imagination with 22.2 million of people considered in needs of humanitarian assistance (around 70% of the total national population) and the biggest known cholera outbreak in the modern history (1,020,179 suspected cases registered from April 2017 until January 2018).
SI really started activities in Yemen in January 2018. Registered in South Yemen, SI mission is based in Aden. Currently, expatriate team is comprised of Country Director, Logistics Coordinator, Admin Coordinator, Program Coordinator, FSL Coordinator, 2 Field Coordinators, 2 Log/Admin Manager and 3 PMs (WASH/FSL). 40 national staff are currently working in coordination and 3 bases.
The mission is currently implementing two projects funded by the French Centre de Crise et de Soutien (CDCS) and the Humanitarian Fund for Yemen. They consist in an integrated emergency assistance for displaced populations and host communities in Al Qabbaytah district (Lahj Governorate), with activities in WaSH (rehabilitation of water supply facilities, construction and rehabilitation of latrines notably) and Food Security & Livelihoods (cash & vouchers, access to agricultural inputs).The mission’s current budget is about 2.5 million USD but a significant increase is expected in the coming weeks and months with proposals currently in discussion with USAID, OFDA and the Humanitarian Fund for Yemen notably.
The WASH Coordinator will be involved in the development of the mission and in its overall strategy. As technical advisor on the mission, he/she contributes to the development of Solidarités International’s strategy by developing and proposing sector-based strategies in the field of water supply, hygiene and sanitation.
SI is looking for an emergency-focused, proactive and intuitive collaborator able to lead operations in highly insecure environments.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programmes implemented in Yemen.
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International’s WASH methods and techniques.
The main challenges:
According to funding availability, the WaSH Coordinator will manage several Program Managers related to WaSH and emergency projects.
The mission is looking for a WaSH Coordinator, based in Aden with regular field visits. The WaSH Coordinator will coordinate the current WaSH and emergency activities according to defined priorities.
About the job (2/3)
Responsibilities and main activities:
- Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country.
- Oversee and lead to process of programme development through drafting concepts and proposals with programme managers
- Propose, organize and/or run diagnostic missions.
- Support the head of mission in the monitoring and analysis of SI intervention sectors and the analysis of the donors’ strategies for the organization’s activities.
- Be the driving force for putting new activities into place.
- Participate actively in programming work
- Participate actively in the week of technical coordinators
Relevance and quality of projects
- Validate the relevance of any assessments carried out
- Propose and organize evaluation missions
- Support and approved the programme supervisor/s in setting up a technical approach and assessing the financial, human, and logistical elements of programmes to be implemented.
- Ensure that all programmes are implemented respecting Solidarités International annual operational strategy, technical requirements, and the criteria stipulated by financial backers.
- Ensure the relevance and consistency of all programmes vis-à-vis the needs of the populations.
- Ensure that the programmes under his/her supervision reach the required results
- Ensure that work meets sustainability requirements and that established norms and standards are respected
- Develop team capacities with techniques and new methodologies
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Ensure that resources from the SI Tool Box are used correctly for project cycle management.
- Approve quality criteria and performance indicators of the programmes proposed by programme managers.
- With the coordination team, take part in a monthly programme review (budgetary, operational, logistical…)
- Provide support and advice to logistics for programme material purchasing.
- Provide technical and methodological support to programme managers and SFP for programme planning and implementation.
- Supervise and support programme managers and SFP, monitor and evaluate activities.
- Anticipate difficulties relating to how his/her tasks are carried out and facilitate the resolution of problems
- Propose reorientation of activities and indicators according to changing contexts
About the job (3/3)
- Ensure that SI’s capitalization tools are correctly used and disseminated to relevant HQ departments (technical unit and desks).
- Participate in the improvements, centralization and dissemination of procedures, guides and tools linked to activities
- In coordination with the technical unit, capitalize on the intervention methods and techniques, and on the experiences acquired by SI and others actors in the field.
- Ensure that handover reports are written by all programme managers before the end of their contract and that these are sent to headquarters
- In conjunction with HQ HR, define the prerequisites for technical position openings and adapt existing criteria if necessary.
- Welcome and brief expatriates working on the programmes
- Identify and implement training requirements within programme teams and locally available resources
- Lead workshops, coordination meetings and/or technical exchange programmes
- Evaluate and assess the performance of collaborators under his/her direct supervision (functional link)
- Actively participate in the organization of regional technical weeks and compiling reports on these work sessions
- Supervise adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision
- Consolidate activity progress update, supervise the preparation of, review and validate reports and/or amendments
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- Validate technical reports and assessment report
Communication / representation / External coordination
- To actively attend WaSH cluster meetings and relevant technical working groups with the inputs of the two SFP on their responsibilities dedicated to WASH Cluster coordination and support
- To take part in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene authorities coordination meetings
- To liaise with external humanitarian WaSH actors responding to emergency when the EPR manager is not available
- To ensure a continuous link is maintained with emergency WaSH actors and attend to the EPR meetings when the EPR manager is not available
- To maintain and support links with other actors working in the same areas, mainly in WaSH, education and health
- Support the Head of Mission in fundraising and the negotiation and examination of project proposals
- Convey information to the relevant authorities on security matters or any event having a possible consequence on SI activities and the security of the teams.
- In conjunction with the HoM, establish and maintain a communication network and good relations with local/government authorities, donors representatives, WASH Cluster and cluster partners, UN agencies and other international/national agencies.
- Reply to HQ requests regarding specific needs
Specific skills and experience:
Education and experience
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in Hydrology, Civil Engineering, or WaSH related specialization;
- Previous experience as WaSH Coordinator (at least 1 year) a prerequisite;
- Experience in mission opening, preferably with SI, is an asset;
- Experience in in tensed context in terms of security;
- Experience in semi-remote management is an asset.
- Experience in solar pumping recommended;
- Experience in Yemen or Middle East countries appreciated;
- Multi-project support experience;
- Organizational and analytical skills;
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff;
- Knowledge of project cycle management, and project reporting;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Skill transfer ability highly appreciated;
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
- Great work and stress management capacities;
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments.
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required;
- Arabic speaking is an asset;
SI will offer you
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break after two months spent on the field. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 2nd, 4th, 8th and 10th months (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the field (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Living conditions :
The living conditions in Aden are quite good even though movements are very restricted (curfew at 8 pm, most of the city being considered as no-go or restricted areas). We are able to go to one supermarket, one restaurant and one beach under specific conditions. Social life with expats from other NGOs is low but can be developed. Trips to bases is ok and to the field is possible for expatriates under certain conditions but are limited to keep the presence of international staff low profile.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/