- Job number: SRH04480
- Domaine de competence: Regional Coordination / Head of Mission
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Afghanistan
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: 01/01/2022
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Afghanistan (field base - to be identified)
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL was created in Afghanistan in 1980 at the time of Soviet Occupation and has been supporting Afghan people for 38 years. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL always maintains its presence in the country until 2018, without interruption covering a wide range of activities, (water, hygiene and sanitation / food security and livelihoods / shelter) for population affected by conflicts or natural disasters, from emergency response to development-oriented programs. The Organization has been working successively in almost all provinces of Afghanistan. In the past years activities were implemented in Wardak, Bamiyan, Khost, Paktika, Samangan, and Kunduz provinces. End of 2018 SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL had to leave the country due to lack of funding but continued to monitor the humanitarian situation in the country with the willingness to support vulnerable Afghan population. The evolution of the situation in the country, marked by a possible collapse of public services and a halt to certain development projects, as well as an aggravation of the impact of changing climatic conditions on rural populations, leads SI to reopen its mission in Kabul during the last quarter of 2021.
The programs are under development and are scheduled to begin in late 2021. A first axis aiming at bringing support to the population’s victims of the drought in already fragile zones like the province of Bamyan will be developed. The second axis should allow to support people living in precarious conditions (EG KIS or IDP settlements in Kabul or other provinces) and whose situation has been worsened by the recent events. This axis of intervention could be developed in Kabul, or in another province around Kabul. Finally, complementary assessments will be conducted at the end of 2021 in other provinces and the overall intervention strategy could be upgraded in the coming months
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator is the representative of the organization at field level. He/she proposes a strategy for his/her area, according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated. He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures. He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly and supervises resource management. He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
Specific tasks and main challenges:
- Representation and Internal / external communication
- Security Management
- Strategic orientation / operation monitoring
- Resource management
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Manage relationships with local authorities at province level. Build up a network of contact with Afghan new authorities in the province and at District level.
- Draft/update the base security pack and ensure its enforcement.
- Recruit, train and support a base Security focal point (FC assistant)
- Supervise the opening of the base: Renting of premises, recruitment of staffs, renting of a car fleet etc…
- Ensure with the program team that activities are timely and qualitatively started / implemented in line with the project proposal, and SI / donor standards and requirements.
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar position (FC) in complex Security / access environment
- Experience on security management in complex environment
- Experience in humanitarian / context analysis
- Experience in HR management (National and International staff)
- Proven experience in external representation in sensitive environment
- Previous experience in Afghanistan would be an asset
- Previous experience with SI and Knowledge of SI tools and processes would be an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Mastering of project cycle management
- Negotiation and diplomatic skills
- Understanding, knowledges of Afghan cultural codes and habits, capacity to adapt to the environment
- Training and capacity building skills
- MS office.
Languages: English, knowledge of a local language would be an asset (Dari or Pashtu) .
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: According to experience, starting from 2400 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs in the Guest House and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. To these break periods, one additional rest day per month worked are granted.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Key information about living conditions
Living conditions are quite fair in Kabul, with possible access to all essential goods and services. It should be remembered that the consumption of alcohol is forbidden in Afghanistan. The security situation can be tense, and travel is sometimes restricted, but it is possible to have a social life.
Living conditions in the field are often harsher (limited access to electricity, harsher weather conditions, isolation, etc.) with paradoxically, depending on the area, less strict security conditions.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/Back