- Job number: SRH03136
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Domaine de competence: Logistics
- Statut: Salarié
- Salary period: Month
- Contract Type: Short term contract
- Country: Nigeria
About the mission in Nigeria
Desired start date: asap
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the 2016 summer. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State. After fast growth it is not the time for the mission to settle and be structured in depth.
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the targeted needs of displaced populations and host communities in Maiduguri suburbs, but also is IDPs camps and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH (wide range of activities), shelter and logistics with food security and livelihood added to our portfolio more recently.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is variable between 18 and 21
- The national staff at May 2018 was composed by 169 members.
- The total budget of the mission is Euro 7,697,062.74 (2018)
Type and content of program currently running:
- High impact multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid (3 Three years) in consortium (leaded by ALIMA) – – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira and Hawul
- Logistic Platform funded by WFP Monguno
- Emergency WASH et Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH inHealth funded by ECHO- in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO – Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
New additional projects are being validated by donors for 2018:
- Multi-sectorial Health-Nutrition-WASH-Shelter-FSL-Protection project funded by ECHO (1 year) in partnership with PUI, ACTED, INTERSOS and TDH (leaded by ACTED) in Monguno/Kukawa and Maiduguri
- Emergency WASH in Health project funded by ECHO in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno/Kukawa
This mission if young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact.
The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles (half former SI, large part of former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Only one position remains to be filled at the moment (Deputy Country Director in charge of programs Ngala).
Overall the atmosphere is very good, people get along and there should be no hidden conflict to deal with.
About the job...
Under the supervision of his Country Director and with the support of headquarters teams, the Deputy Country Director for Programs is responsible for :
- General objectives
- The logistics coordinator pilots logistics activities of the mission to ensure the smooth running of SI programs in the country.
- He/She ensures the implementation of SI procedures and logistics tools on the mission and ensure their compliance and their proper use.
- He/she helps define the mission strategy, drafting and designing projects necessary means and activities SI.
- He/She supports the head of mission in the operational safety. He is the referent on the mission and the link between headquarters and the mission for any issue related to logistics
- He/She supports the Field coordinator and base staffs in all necessary matters
- Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Kick off of new projects purchases
- Follow up of bases procurement process
- Training of new national base logistics managers
Specific stakes and challenges :
- Management: The team in coordination office is composed by
- 1 Deputy Log Coordinator (expatriate)
- 1 IT Responsible
- 1 Stock Manager
- 1 Procurement Manager, who is the manager of 2 purchase officers
Moreover, the Log Coordinator has a functional link with the Log Managers in the bases.
- Partners: the main partners are the NGOs of the consortium projects and WFP in Monguno. The cluster meeting participation is a very important part of the log Coordinator part
- Context: The specificity and difficulty of the context implies challenges in the carry on of the daily logistics activities
- Contractors: SI’s activities are sometimes requiring strong technical skills and heavy machinery (borehole drillings…). Thus, SI has to rely on contractors to conduct those works which should be very closely monitored.
A key management point is that in Maiduguri are located both an operational base and most of the coordination team. It will be important to ensure that communication schemes are in place and that there is no confusion between base and coordination (decision making, roles and responsibilities).
- 5 years of logistics management experience with at least 1 years’ experience at a management/ coordination level and 2 year in an international (i.e. not home country) context
- A degree in Logistics, Engineering, Business, or related field
- English proficiency
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft packages, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of security management systems and approaches for NGO’s
- Ability to integrate into the local environment, taking account of its political, economic and historical characteristics
- Appropriate skills and experience in the capacity building and training of staff
- Strong experience of developing and implementing systems
- Knowledge of project management, vehicle management, procurement, stock control and management systems;
- Ability to work under pressure to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously to successful conclusions
- Resilience to stress
- Ability to work under own initiative.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Si will offer you
[Living conditions : ]
In Maiduguri the base offers a comfortable environment, in spite of limited movements outside of the compound for security reasons.
SI will offer you:
Solidarités International will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 2640 euros gross per month with a monthly perdiem .
- R&R: during the assignment, a system of R&R is implemented every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités International). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarites International will cover travel costs).
- Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/