- Job number: SRH03138
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Domaine de competence: Regional Coordination / Head of Mission
- Statut: Salarié
- Salary period: Month
- Contract Type: Short term contract
- Region: Borno
- Country: Nigeria
Que faisons nous ...
Desired starting date: 15/07/18
Duration of the mission: 12 months renewable
Location: Monguno, Nigeria
About the mission:
Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the 2016 summer. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State. After fast growth it is not the time for the mission to settle and be structured in depth.
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the targeted needs of displaced populations and host communities in Maiduguri suburbs, but also is IDPs camps and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH (wide range of activities), shelter and logistics with food security and livelihood added to our portfolio more recently.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
Type and content of program currently running:
o High impact multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid (3 Three years) in consortium (leaded by ALIMA) – – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira and Hawul
o Logistic Platform funded by WFP Monguno
o Emergency WASH et Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
o Emergency WASH inHealth funded by ECHO- in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno
o Emergency WASH funded by ECHO – Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
New additional projects are being validated by donors for 2018:
o Multi-sectorial Health-Nutrition-WASH-Shelter-FSL-Protection project funded by ECHO (1 year) in partnership with PUI, ACTED, INTERSOS and TDH (leaded by ACTED) in Monguno/Kukawa and Maiduguri
o Emergency WASH in Health project funded by ECHO in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno/Kukawa
This mission if young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact.
The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles (half former SI, large part of former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Only one position remains to be filled at the moment (Deputy Country Director in charge of programs Ngala).
Overall the atmosphere is very good, people get along and there should be no hidden conflict to deal with.
Descriptif du poste
About the job:
· General objectives
Under the supervision and with the support of the Country Director, the Field Coordinator is the hierarchical manager of all staff and shares by delegation the same responsibilities as the Country Director in his area:
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone
- He/she is the Head of Mission's direct contact and representative.
· Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Follow up of the implementation of Monguno projects
- Definition of the internal set up of the WFP project
- Integration and follow up of the new admin and logistics managers
The main challenges of the position are:
- Management: The team is composed by
- 1 log manager (national
- 1 admin manager (expatriate)
- 1 WASH PM (expatriate
- 1 Warehouse PM (expatriate – potentially nationalized shortly)
- 1 liaison officer (national)
- Partners: the main partners are the NGOs of the consortium projects and WFP in Monguno (mainly ALIMA and WFP)
- Context: The specificity and difficulty of the context implies challenges in the carry on of the daily logistics activitie
- Contractors: SI’s activities are sometimes requiring strong technical skills and heavy machinery (borehole drillings…). Thus, SI has to rely on contractors to conduct those works which should be very closely monitored
- Context monitoring: there is little vision on what is happening outside Monguno so it is complex to predict the upcoming evolutions in terms of humanitarian needs, the Field Coordinator will have to develop a deep understanding of local dynamics
- 5 years of professional humanitarian experience, including a minimum of 2 years at a similar position (at least 1 year international position)
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments
- Previous experience in Wash activities
- Previous experience of project management in NGO / humanitarian fields
- Previous experience in report and proposal writing
- Experience of team management and capacity building
- Knowledge of HR, budget and logistics management
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- Good organization skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Strong capacity to take initiatives
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing proposals and reports and for external coordination and representation meetings with other NGOs, UN agencies, donors and governmental bodies.
- Patience, autonomy, flexibility and the ability to adapt are indispensable skills.
- Good computer skills
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Si vous offrira les conditions suivantes
[Living conditions : ]
The Field Coordinator lives in SI compound with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area.
SI will offer you:
Solidarités International will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 2860 euros gross per month with a monthly perdiem .
- R&R: during the assignment, a system of R&R is implemented every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités International). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarites International will cover travel costs).
- Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded
- For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/