In fact since mid-2018 there has been a rise in violence and insecurity in the Center, caused by armed groups and traffickers. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has intervened in Ségou, in the Center, in order to limit insecurity that lead to massive forced displacements whereas the limited prospects of conflict settlement were fuelling irregular tendencies in population displacement. The insecurity which prevails and limited means of subsistence are not favorable to return which contributes to extended displacement.
In spite of the presence of MINUSMA, two EU training missions, Barkhane, the G5 Joint forces and the Malian army, the government has still not been able to reestablish access to basic services (health, education and water) in the North-East and Center regions where access to basic services continues to diminish making the population ever more dependent on humanitarian aid. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is involved in the regions of Timbuktu, Kidal and Ségou, in the circles of Goundam, Diré, Niono and Kidal, to respond to the extreme food and nutritional needs in particular in the zones controlled by armed groups.
The negative spiral of intercommunity confrontation has reached a level of violence that makes it difficult to protect civilians. Therefore the required aid to internally displaced persons within their own country exceeds the capacity of government services. In parallel, West Africa and the western region of Mali in particular, is regularly hit by epidemics (for example yellow fever, Lassa fever, measles, cholera, malaria and meningitis) and natural disasters (floods, landslides, drought and locust invasion).
Local populations have numerous needs from drinking water to access to food and shelter.
- 20.9 million inhabitants
- 42.7% poverty rate
- 184th out of 189 on the Human Development Index
opened in 2012
21 international staff
152 national staff
- Budget 9.9M€
In order to improve living conditions for the population of Mali affected by civil war, under-development and malnutrition, SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is concentrating its efforts on improving living conditions, resilience to food insecurity, to conflicts and improving social cohesion of vulnerable population groups in the most fragile regions of Mali. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has concentrated its activity in the Center, in Goundam and Ségou, on reinforcement of water access, sanitation and hygiene, not only for persons displaced due to conflict but also for the host communities. The projects in the Northeast in Kidal involve awareness-raising to the importance of water and nutrition in order to improve behavior. The teams contribute to infrastructure improvement in these very vulnerable regions in particular by rehabilitating and rebuilding health centers and installing water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure.
In order to stimulate the local market, the project involves the distribution of farm tools and the organization of food fairs as well as training sessions in conflicts and natural catastrophes, in the 3 bases in Kidal, Goundam and Ségou. water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure is also installed at the individual level to ensure sustainability, managed by water management committees. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has developed the scope of its intervention participating in the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) with the donors ECHO and UNICEF. SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL can therefore meet the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) needs within a RRM in order to cover the displacement zones of victims and host populations.
Food security and livelihood
Approximately 145 000 beneficiaries
– Conditional and non-conditional cash transfers, social safety net
– Distribution of non food items (NFI)/water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) kits to treat acute malnutrition
– Actions to reduce the risk of catastrophes (developing and setting up a community early warning system, community action plan, support grain banks and feed banks)
– Communication to change food and nutritional behavior
– Stimulate agro-pastoral activity, agricultural input distribution and organization of agriculture fairs and support community production projects (rehabilitate hydro-agricultural infrastructure)
– Support and development of income generating activities and development of VSLA (Village Savings and Loan Associations)
– Community economic projects and reinforcement of means of subsistence
– Train SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL personnel in horizontal protection
– Awareness-raising in malnutrition prevention
– Support knowledge acquisition and nutritional aptitude and practices
– Screening and referencing malnutrition in children under 5 and Pregnant and Breastfeeding women (MUAC)
Water, sanitation and hygiene
Approximately 45 000 beneficiaries
– Building/ rehabilitation of water access in a community environment (solar systems)
– Reinforce water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in health infrastructure
– Communication to change WASH behavior
– Reactivate and support water management committees (sanitation and hygiene)
– Pay water bills in displaced person sites
– Awareness raising campaigns in hygiene and water conservation
Should you have any questions, please contact Contact Emmanuel Rinck
News from Mali
Covid-19: Food security challenges in Western Africa
Western and Central Africa: Covid-19 outbreak makes water and sanitation…
Covid-19 – Africa: the need for a major response
One out of two cases of malnutrition is linked to…
Living without drinking water
Mali: 161 families in need in Kidal
At head office