Conflicts between armed groups and the government in the Kasai region have continued to escalate, causing both human and material damage. The need for water, sanitation and hygiene is critical for people who have had to leave their homes.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL teams have set up a rapid response to population displacements to meet these needs thanks to the support of our partners the European Union, UNICEF and Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
The inhabitants of the Kasai region (large as Italy) have fled massively to escape the conflict between armed groups and government forces.
3.8 million people are displaced in the DRC, of which 760,000 are still displaced in the Kasai (Kasai, Kasai-Central, Kasai-Oriental, Lomami) and more than 3,000 people have already been directly affected by the conflict.
HUMANITARIAN NEEDS IN KASAI
– more than 200,000 people are in urgent need of assistance in water, hygiene and sanitation
– 3.2 million people need emergency food aid
– 400,000 children under the age of five need support to prevent and treat malnutrition
– more than 200,000 CHILDREN do not have access to health care and more than 75% of HEALTH CENTRES have been destroyed in one year
– more than 350,000 people need emergency shelter.
Picture: Thomas Gruel